As most of you know, I am a huge advocate of essential oils for physical and emotional wellness. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, let’s talk about essential oils for your love life.
Let’s face it, with crazy, busy lives that include work, kids, and kids in sports, who has time and energy for a sex life?! Or have you just lost your sex drive altogether? I think most of us can use a little help in this department, yes?
We may talk about how happy we are with aspects of our life: career, financial, spiritual, physical, emotional. But how often to we address the health of our sex life? If you are not healthy in that respect, it can be holding you back from feeling fully alive!
Now, I am not a relationship counselor and certainly not a sex expert, but let me tell ya, there are such things as aphrodisiacs! In particular, essential oils…essential oils can help stimulate your libido.
How do essential oils impact the body?
Loss of libido can have many causes. Sometimes these are physical such as thyroid issues, medications, and testosterone. Many experience mental and emotional issues such as stress, issues with relationships, fatigue, and depression. This is where essential oils come into play! We are strongly impacted by fragrance and aroma through the limbic system which is located at the back of the brain which can effect our libido and hormones.
Quick explanation of limbic system…When you smell something, the aromatic compounds stimulate cells in the olfactory membrane, which sends signals through the olfactory bulb, which is part of the limbic system. The amygdala processes emotion, and the hippocampus is responsible for associative learning. Through conditioned responses, your brain learns to associate smells with feelings. It’s no wonder aromatic substances are so good at bringing back memories! And, according to aromatherapist, Dr. Naresh Arora “The essential oils do magic and stimulate the pituitary gland, the master of endocrine gland, which controls hormone production. Inactiveness of pituitary gland can lead to low sex drive. So, the oils help keep it in an active state.”
So, simply smelling essential oils can have a dynamic impact on us physically and emotionally. Aroma can arouse the senses, create a more pleasurable environment, and increase desire.
You will notice that many of the essential oils below increase circulation. Now, do you know what happens when circulation and blood flow is increased? We have increased arousal…us women know what that means for our man.
Essential Oils with Aphrodisiac Properties
• Black Pepper – This is a warming, spicy oil that maintains healthy circulation. It can stimulate appetite if ya know what I mean! (Always dilute when using topically).
• Cinnamon – Also a warming oil. It’s scent is spicy, warm and sweet. It supports circulation and blood flow. (Always dilute when using topically).
• Ginger – This is a sweet, spicy-woody, warm oil that is most recognized as supporting healthy digestion, but it’s also known to support the circulatory system. It increases openness in both men and women. (Always dilute when using topically).
• Jasmine – This oil has a powerful, sweet scent. Helps balance mood throughout the month and evokes feelings of joy and self-confidence. Excellent oil for women. (Do not use during pregnancy).
• Patchouli – Earthy, musky-sweet smell, with woody undertones. It is grounding and will balance emotions as well as the libido.
• Sandalwood – This oil has a soft, woody, sweet, and earthy scent. It lessens tension and balances emotions
• Wild Orange – It’s scent is fresh, fruity, citrusy and sweet. It is calming and uplifting to the mind and body (may cause photosensitivity, avoid direct sunlight for several hours after applying to skin)
• Ylang Ylang – One of my favorites! It has a sweet, heavy, tropical floral scent. It influences sexual energy and enhances relationships. It helps support the adrenal glands. It is calming and relaxing and may help alleviate anger.
How to Use Essential Oils for Romance
Aromatically – use your essential oils to scent the room and create a sensual, romantic environment. You can diffuse into the room, or add several drops of essential oils to a glass spray bottle, add distilled water and spray into the air or on your sheets/pillow Pleasant fragrances are stimulating, physically and emotionally.
Topically – Massage onto your partner, touch brings you closer. Blend with fractionated coconut oil, or almond oil to create an amazing massage oil. Massage on legs, arms, abdomen and bottom. You can make the blend above in a roller bottle and apply on wrists, behind ears or back of the neck.
In the bath – Add a few drops to your bath to create a relaxing and romantic atmosphere. NOTE: Do not add any of the spicy oils that need dilution to your bath such as Black Pepper, Cinnamon, or ginger. I would suggest Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, and Patchouli.
Have fun and experiment to see what is appealing to you and your partner’s nose. If it is unappealing to either of you, don’t use it.
Enter to win a 10mL roller blend of my Love Potion #9 Recipe, enter a comment below and I will randomly select a winner on February 9th so you have in time for Valentine’s Day!
Disclaimer: One of the most important things you must know about essential oils are that not all oils are created equal. In fact, the majority of them have no health benefits, or can be harmful to your health and are often synthetic. When buying essential oils make sure they are certified therapeutic grade. If you want to order the brand I trust and personally use, email email@example.com.