It’s that time of year again when you see Pomegranates a plenty in the grocery stores. I have wonderful memories of my great-aunt coming to the house with several in tow. We would watch with anticipation as she painstakingly separated the beautiful crimson seeds from the white, bitter pulp for us to enjoy! It seemed to take forever as we would sit, impatiently awaiting as our mouths would water.
I wanted to do the same for my son, but of course, I can be a bit impatient and I like to make the most of my time. So, I looked up on YouTube how to quickly clean a pomegranate. I came up with a video similar to this one that takes a lot less time with less pulp to pick out of the glorious pile of seeds!
Not only do these seeds taste delectable, they have numerous health benefits. Here are just a few of many:
- Antioxidants: Pomegranate seeds acquire their beautiful crimson color from polyphenols. These chemicals are powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants in pomegranates (and pomegranate juice) can help remove free radicals, protect cells from damage, and reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin C: The juice of just one pomegranate has more than 40% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C! Wow! There is a reason these beautiful fruits are available to us mainly in the winter months! But, be sure if juicing to juice them yourself, once a juice is pasteurized, the Vitamin C is not nearly as high.
- Cancer Fighter: There are studies and research showing that pomegranate seeds are a potent cancer-fighting food. Pomegranate has been shown to have anti-tumor effects on various types of cancer cells such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- Lower Blood Pressure: The juice of pomegranate seeds contains different types of antioxidants and bioactive polyphenols that have been reported to promote cardiovascular health, including healthy blood pressure levels*.
- Improve Heart Health: A study found that pomegranate juice consumption reduced plaque in the carotid artery as well as lowered LDL oxidation.
- Sexual Performance: Do you or a loved one have concerns with erectile dysfunction? Pomegranate juice has been shown to be beneficial in increasing blood flow and erectile response in animal studies. Benefits may soon be found for humans as a natural remedy for impotence. And, if you know me, I promote “blood flow is life”!
- Antibacterial/Antiviral: Between the Vitamin C and other immune-boosting nutrients in pomegranates, the juice can prevent illness and fight off infection. Research suggests they stimulate probiotic bacteria, enhancing beneficial effects at fighting infections, not to mention probiotics improve gut health!
Well, there you have it, 7 of many reasons, plus an easy How To video to take away any doubt that pomegranates are worth the effort in peeling! Aren’t a fan of the seeds though? Turn the seeds into juice simply by putting them in a blender and then strain the juice with a cheesecloth.
* If you have blood pressure issues or take blood pressure medication, please check with your doctor regarding your intake of pomegranate seeds. Pomegranate juice may have dangerous side effects when it interacts with certain prescription medications such as blood thinners.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care provider before using products based on this content